Jean David, Israel (1957)
From 1927–33, Jean David studied at the Académie Julian and at the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris. He fled from Romania to Palestine in 1942. He was interned by the British in Cyprus, but fought later in the British Navy. From 1948 on he worked as a painter and graphic designer in Tel-Aviv. He made murals for public buildings, including the university campus in Jerusalem, as well as for the Israeli pavilions at the Brussels and Montreal world fairs. His posters for the Ministry of Tourism won the gold and silver medals at the Milan Triennale 1954. The New Tel-Aviv Museum, Rothschild Hospital and the Jerusalem Theatre were among his clients. Also, David worked on the interiors of seven Israeli passenger ships, including two 50-metre stained-glass windows for the Shalom. His oneman exhibitions were held in Paris, London, New York, Mexico City, Johannesburg and Bucharest. In 1967 he designed the poster for an AGI congress that did not take place, because of the Six-Day War with Egypt.