George Tscherny, USA (1965)
George began his professional career as a designer with Donald Deskey & Associates in 1950. He joined George Nelson & Associates as a graphic designer in 1953 and became an associate and head of the graphics department before leaving in 1955 to open an independent design office. Tscherny served two terms as president of the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA). In 1988 the American Institute of Graphic Arts awarded him their annual medal, ‘in recognition of distinguished achievements and contributions to the graphic arts’. In 1997 Tscherny was inducted into the Art Directors Hall of Fame. A 164-page book, covering 5 decades of Tscherny’s work, was published in 2004 by Southeast University Press, China. His posters are in the collections of NY MoMA; Cooper-Hewitt Museum NY; Library of Congress, Washington DC; and the Kunstgewerbemuseum. Over 100 posters and other examples of his work are included in the archives of the Bibliothèque Nationale de France.