Jan Lewitt, UK (1952)
Lewitt was ‘the other half’ of a very close partnership with George Him (see also George Him). After his schooling Jan travelled for three years in Europe and the Middle East, and ‘tried to make a living in thirteen different occupations’, but finally began to work as a self-taught graphic artist and designer. In 1925 he designed his first Hebrew typeface, Chaim. When he met George Him in 1933 in Warsaw, they immediately felt like professional twins. In Poland and later in Britain they created wonderful children’s books and posters. After the end of their partnership in 1954, Lewitt decided to concentrate on painting, but he also designed costumes and scenery for Sadler’s Wells Ballet, produced tapestries and worked in glass.