Georg Schmid, Austria (1964)
After studying architecture and painting at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna, Georg Schmid started his own studio in 1955 with his wife Epi Schlüsselberger, a costume designer. His...Read full biography
After studying architecture and painting at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna, Georg started his own studio with his wife Epi Schlüsselberger, a costume designer, in 1955. For ten years he was responsible for all the design for the Museum of 20th-Century Art in Vienna and for the Europe publishing house. Schmidt was head of the Institute of Graphic Design, Ornamental Script and Heraldry at the Vienna Academy (1969–72). As well as his graphic work, he was also a set designer for theatre and opera in Austria, Switzerland and Germany. He was involved in a series of animated films for Austrian Television. In the 1980s, he worked for the Vienna People’s Party, designing all their posters, printed matter and promotions. His imagination and originality made him an intelligent designer who made optimal use of his creativity. He received numerous awards for exhibition, poster and book design, and Austria and Vienna honoured him with prizes and medals.