Hermann Eidenbenz, Switzerland (1952)
Initially trained at a commercial lithographer, Hermann Eidenbenz studied for two years at the Zürich Kunstgewerbeschule and subsequently for three years at the studio of Professors Hadank and Deffke in...Read full biography
Initially trained at a commercial lithographer, Hermann studied for two years at the Zürich Kunstgewerbeschule and subsequently for three years at the studio of Professors Hadank and Deffke in Berlin. He taught in Magdeburg, Germany (1926–32) and then went to Basel, where he shared a studio with his brothers. He worked on the Swiss pavilion at the Paris Expo 1937 and the Milan Triennale of 1940. Hermann later came back to Basel as an educator and also taught in Braunschweig and designed that city’s coat of arms. In 1955–67 he was a consultant/ designer with the advertising department of the Hamburg cigarette firm Reemtsma. Hermann produced many posters, logos and the 10 and 20 Swiss franc banknotes. He also won a competition to design banknotes for West Germany. In 1953 he enriched the graphic design profession with his typeface Clarendon (Linotype). His special AGI logo appeared on the cover of Henrion’s AGI Annals (1989). He had exhibitions in Zürich, Hamburg, Basel and New York.